Who’s can be My Student Loan Servicer?

Why student loan servicers matter? Which servicer is dealing with my federal student loan? In this article, you can find out the answers to these and other commonly asked questions about the loan servicers.

What Do Loan Servicers Do

A loan servicer is an organization appointed for invoice processing, as well as other free services on your federal student loan.  It deals with loan repayment options as income-driven plans and debt consolidation. Additionally, it offers assistance in fulfilling any federal student loan tasks.

Stay up with the latest contact information so your loan servicer can assist you in paying off the loan on schedule, even if the circumstances during your repayment period are evolving.

We do not recommend you to employ the third-party company for aid with your federal student loans as our organization will do it FREE. Our loan servicer gives you the possibility to apply for income-driven repayment or student loan forgiveness plan, etc. All you need to do is to contact us.

Loan Servicer Assignment

After you pay off your loan, the loan servicer receives it and gets in touch with you.

Loan ServicerContact
FedLoan Servicing (PHEAA)1-800-699-2908
Granite State – GSMR1-888-556-0022
Great Lakes Educational Loan Services, Inc.1-800-236-4300
OSLA Servicing1-866-264-9762
Default Resolution Group (also known as Maximus Federal Services, Inc.)1-800-621-3115 (TTY: 1-877-825-9923 for the deaf or hard of hearing)

How do I know who my loan servicer is?

To identify your loan servicer, contact the Federal Student Aid Information Center (FSAIC) at 1-800-433-3243. Below are loan servicers for loans that belong to the U.S. Department of Education (ED).

Who to contact for loan information?

  • If you have aloan for the ongoing or forthcoming academic year, get in touch straight with your educational institution financial aid department to be acquainted with your loan status, full or particulate loan cancellation deadlines, loan disbursement amount and period. No one but this department can supply you with this information. 
  • If you have paid off your loan in the previous academic year, but you are still studying, keep updating your data in your educational institution. If you withdraw, graduate, start studying less than part-time or leave it, be sure to contact your loan servicer.
  • If you do not study in your educational institution anymore, you have to reach out to your loan servicer in the following circumstances:

– you have changed your name, address, or phone number;

– you require assistance in loan payoff;

– you have questions about your student loan or the bill.

Contact information for loans not belonging to the ED

Payoff options and tools on the FFEL Program loans that do not belong to the ED you can get from your loan servicer. If you do not know who your servicer is, check the sender of the latest notifications on your loan repayments.

The loan payoff information on the Federal Perkins Loans that do not belong to the ED you can get from the educational institution you received the loan. In this case, your educational institution may serve as your loan servicer.

HEAL Program loans borrowers that are not in default can reach out to the loan servicer in case they have questions about their account. Use the contact details provided by your loan servicer. If you do not know who your servicer is, check the sender of the latest notifications on your loan repayments.

HEAL Program loans borrowers that are in default can reach out to the Debt Collection Center in case they have questions about their account.

For mail sent via U.S. Postal Service:
Accounting Services, Debt Collection Center
Mailstop 10230B
7700 Wisconsin Avenue, Suite 8-8110D
Bethesda, MD 20857

For mail sent via UPS or FedEx:
HHS Program Support Center
Accounting Services, Debt Collection Center
Mailstop Seventh Floor
7700 Wisconsin Avenue, Suite 8-8110D
Bethesda, MD 20814
Phone: 301-492-4664

On the issue of the loan transferring

In certain instances, there may emerge the need to transfer the loan from one servicer to another. In this case, your federal student loan will still belong to the ED. After transferring, the new servicer will be assisting you in full loan repayment.

Below you can see the information you need to know about transferring your loan to the new servicer.

  • You will receive an email or a letter from the appointed servicer, informing about the transferring;
  • You will receive a welcome letter from the new servicer, providing contact information about it, and notifying you about actions you may need to take;
  • All of your loan information will be available for your new servicer.  However, you will have access only to the online information that covers the period after transferring your loans to the new servicer. 
  • Your loan terms are not going to change.
  • Your former and current loan servicers are going to cooperate to guarantee the crediting of money to the loan account during the transferring process. 

After you have received a welcome letter, be sure to start transmitting your loan payments to your new servicer. If you make your loan payments via bank or bill payment service, update the contact information of your new servicer there. Then, create an online account according to the new servicer’s instructions. This account can simplify your communication with the new servicer and tracking your loan account.


Assistance with loan services (as federal student debt consolidation or applying for income-driven plans) is under no obligation to pay!

Try to avoid companies that insist on paying the enrollment, subscription, or maintenance fees to apply for the federal repayment plan or forgiveness program.

Always stay aware of the fact that your loan servicer will provide a full range of services for you free!